Sunday, January 4, 2009

Apologies for the digression

Sometimes catblogging just has to be done, and it has been brought to my attention that such meanderings might "turn off" some of my readers, who have trouble parsing "kthxbai" into "pleased to have such a welcome social encounter, thank you ever so much for your always quality time, farewell until the tides of fortune bring us together again, an event for which I cannot but have anything less than nearly overwhelming anticipation." You have to admit that, whatever its faults, kthxbai is shorter.

News of import -- I am committing to a training schedule that culminates in an ironman triathlon in September. 2.5 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run.

Why? I can hear you ask - faithful reader, please be certain that I have thought carefully about this, and have what I consider to be sufficient and good reasons. I can list some of them, and shall.

1) Ironman triathlons are among the most serious physical challenges that a person can undergo.
2) Since I have stopped dancing semi-professionally, I really need some kind of physical activity in my life that challenges me.
3) Previous attempts to "get in shape" have all failed in the past, due, I think, to a failure to establish goals that cannot be met without serious exertion.
4) Pursuant to 3 (above) I have also failed to commit to long term fitness programs that did not involve a partner or coach; while I can be very self-motivated over the short term, for the long haul I need to have a peer, or peers, or superiors looking over my shoulder and "keeping me honest." Its a failing, but at least its one of which I am aware (no need to write in with the failure of which you suspect I am not aware, thanks ever so).
5) I have found that setting serious goals, that will require hard work, has benefits in all aspects of my life, not merely in the realm where those goals are set. I waste far less time when I am doing something serious with my time. Writing the dissertation has proved to be difficult to sustain in a steady, page-a-day, manner, which had been the hoped for process. The running I have been doing has proved to be an excellent opportunity for me to ruminate on the research I am doing, so that when I do sit down to write, I am prolific.

So - while doing WELL in this ironman would be nice, I simply aim to finish in a time that doesn't get me yanked off the course. The dissertation and the defense of same take precedence, but even that comes in a distant second to keeping my family happy -- no one wants a fit, Ph.D. endowed dad/husband who is never around and never has time. Its not going to be easy -- but I am going to try.

1 comment:

  1. Who could possibly have a problem with kthxbai? That's just some obtuse fucktardery, there.

    Furthermore, I humbly submit that what is of interest to your readers shouldn't really be a pressing concern for you. It is not, after all, as if you're their fucking monkey. As I may have pointed out to certain commenters on my own public face.

    Of course, you are my fucking monkey, and accordingly I command you to blog what pleases you, and feel absolved from the diverse wishes of people who could blog or read whatever the fuck else they wanted to, rather than expecting you to keep them entertained. What they are doing is called "topping from the bottom," and it's reprehensible.

    Of course, if you're writing this to be read, there is another series of problems that it's probably best for us not to discuss because of my aforementioned splendiferous love for you.

    kthxbai.

    ReplyDelete