Sunday, February 7, 2010

Dissertation to Committee? Check.

Hello faithful readers and welcome to another edition of the Rundown! Apologies for the delay, and heck, I even ran a 10 mile race and didn't bother to tell you about it (73:25, 26th of 111, 6 of 16 in my AG). Why? Well, I had a good reason, I think. I was finishing my dissertation.

Which was a good thing. Ok, yes -- I have found four things I would have changed or added in the last 48 hours, but nothing major. Cleaning up the office after the final push, I found a couple of file folders of material I had meant to get back to but never did. Meh.

The Diss came in at a mere 250 pages, which I am told is not all that short for the humanities nowadays. I know some of the work of my peers is in that same ballpark. But, length aside, is it any good?

Some of it is. Some of it, if I may say so myself, is dead sexy. Much of it is not, but I subscribe to the belief that the dead sexy bits are set up by the grinding away at the data that just isn't all that interesting. There are one or two bits that I am especially proud of, and a couple of sections that I think aren't all that strong. I don't think anything is flat out bad, but then I wouldn't, would I? :)

Maybe the best thing (aside from just being done) is that there are four or more ideas that I want to pursue further that arise from the diss. That's a good sign, I think, that I don't just want to shelve it and move on to something else. I mean, I AM going to shelve it and move on to something else -- I have a book manuscript for a different project due in November, so that's the next thing that has to get going -- but nonetheless I am excited to start looking with fresh eyes at the material.

If you're interested in reading it, drop me a line -- I go to defend in two weeks, and then I am sure I will have some re-writes, but a major chapter in my life is coming to an end here. Next up =-= get a job! (Hi mom!)

No comments:

Post a Comment